Police have launched a massive manhunt for five awaiting trial prisoners who escaped from the holding cells in Witpoort, Ga-Seleka outside Lephalale.
Limpopo Police spokesperson, Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo said prisoners escaped on Monday night.
“Police allege the prisoners aged between 19 and 39 escaped through a hole inside the cells,” said Mojapelo.
A task team has been established to hunt down escapees.
Police arrested them for murder, rape and business burglary.
They have been identified as:
- Jappie Shiko (29) from Kitty Village.
- Lesiba Frans Machaba (27) from Kauletse village.
- Paul Madira (19) from Botsalanong (Friendship) village.
- Bongani Sibanda (31) from Zimbabwe. [He has gunshot injuries sustained during a burglary business incident].
- Sipho Mpofu (39) from Zimbabwe.
Pictures of other two prisoners are not available
Mojapelo said police have opened a case of escaping from lawful custody.
He said police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Police are appealing to community members to assist with any information that can lead to the re-arrest of these escapees to contact Detective Warrant Officer Ratlou Morudu at 082 468 8931, the Crime Stop number 0860010111 or the nearest police station.
Follow us on Social Media