Minister Bheki Cele: GCIS

Police Minister, Bheki Cele said in a written Parliamentary reply to Democratic Alliance (DA) Social Development Committee member, Alexandra Abrahams that since the COVID-19 lockdown began, only 130 of the 4,050 suspects of gender-based violence (GBV) arrested so far have been convicted.

Minister Cele said the convictions relates to cases reported to the police in each province since the COVID-19 lockdown began on March 2, 2020.

The unconvincing Abrahams said DA it will raise follow-up parliamentary question/s to Minister Cele to clarify the status of the 3928 perpetrators but never convicted, and the victims who have not yet received protection?Below is numbers of reported cases provided by Minister Cele

Abrahams said: “Due to the low conviction rate, the judicial system makes it possible for perpetrators attacks victims again, adding that although the DA welcomes the proposed bill, the Domestic Violence Amendment and the Criminal Law Amendment Bills, our judiciary needs reforms to reverse this trend and provide adequate protection for victims.

“The level of conviction for the perpetrators is very low, and this sends the wrong message to encourage them to continue with their violence behaviour. Our judicial system urgently needs reform to reverse this trend and provide adequate protection for victims,” said Abrahams.

Abrahams has called on President Cyril Ramaphosa to combine his words with anti-violent actions and ensure that there are sufficient resources to eradicate this scourge.

He added: “Unless the government makes a serious commitment to addressing the root causes of this national crisis, South Africa will always have the honour to be a dangerous place for women and children.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SAcoronavirus.co.za

For more information on COVID-19 and government regulation: Click here

Emergency Hotline: 0800 029 999 WhatsApp Support Line: 0600-123456